Cyber Essentials Badge cyberessentials certification mark plus colour IASME Governance Badge IASME Governance Badge GASQ Logo
Monday, 12 June 2017 08:45

Impact of Apprenticeship Levy on Commercial Training Providers - Part Three Featured

Written by Lynn
Rate this item
(3 votes)

ESFA Funding Rules and Regulations

As of from May 1st 2017 all new apprenticeship starts on either frameworks or standards fall into one of the new 15 apprenticeship funding bands.

•    Standards

•    Frameworks

The following documents are needed to comply with the ESFA's regulations:

•   Apprenticeship funding: how it will work

•   Apprenticeship funding in England from May 2017

•   Apprenticeship funding and performance management rules 2017 to 2018

There is a new Technical Funding Rules document which covers apprenticeship starts as of May 1st 2017:

•   Apprenticeship technical funding guide

This runs in conjunction with the following funding rules documentation:

•   ILR specification, validation rules and appendices 2017 to 2018

•   Apprenticeship funding: rules and guidance for employers

•   Addendum to the apprenticeship funding and performance management rules - May 2017 to March 2018

This will of course be updated as of August 1st when the 2017-2018 funding rules will take over!

"The rules that will apply to all apprenticeship provision funded by the SFA following the introduction of the apprenticeship levy."

•   ILR specification 2017 to 2018: version 1

•   Apprenticeship funding: rules for employer-providers

•   Apprenticeship funding and performance-management rules for training providers

•   Apprenticeship funding and performance management rules 2017 to 2018: summary of changes

Matrix Standard

You will also be required to meet the Matrix standard, as covered in the The matrix standard guidance note: update 2.

“Requirements around the matrix Standard only apply to training, learning or work experience programmes and activities that are partly or wholly-funded by the Skills Funding Agency.”

All levy paying employers fall into the ESFA's co-investment policy once their levy pot is spent, then the employer contributes 10% towards training and the ESFA will fund the remaining 90%, therefore this is part funded and the Matrix Standard is required.

If you have less than 25 people involved in delivery then you will need to contact Matrix on 020 3880 5059 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for a specific cost, otherwise check out the framework of Matrix Standard Costs.

The matrix standard guidance note: update 2

Register of Apprenticeship Training Providers

As a requirement of being accepted on the Register of Apprenticeship Training Providers (RoATP) you will have to submit monthly Individualised Learner Record (ILR) to the ESFA. (see blog part 4)

It really makes no difference if you have 10 or 1000 learners this contractual obligation stands, as well as being in scope for direct Ofsted inspections, you will need to comply with all their regulations too. (see blog part 5)


Get Our Updates!

* Indicates required

Read 2430 times Last modified on Wednesday, 05 July 2017 11:01

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.